- Any man who has ever hit a woman or romantic partner.
- Any man who has ever threatened to hit a woman or romantic partner.
- Any man who has ever continued to pursue a woman after being told she wasn’t interested.
- Any man who has ever called a woman “a stupid bitch” or some equivalent insult.
- Any man who has ever said to a woman, “you’d be pretty if you’d just smile/lose weight/wear makeup/wear a dress.”
- Any man who considers the word “no” to be a challenge he must overcome.
- Any man who has ever cyber-stalked or cyber-bullied anyone.
- Any man who has ever physically stalked or bullied anyone.
- Any man who has ever flown into a rage and punched a wall/a door/a table/a face.
- Any man who has ever complained that women aren’t really interested in nice guys like him.
- Any man who believes romantic rejection is a signal he should try harder.
- Any man who has ever kicked a dog.
- Any man who has ever spread vengeful lies about a former romantic partner or someone who rejected him.
- Any man who has ever secretly taped or photographed anyone in an embarrassing or compromising position. This includes sex tapes, upskirt photos, crotch shots, nudie pics, etc.
- Any man who has ever trafficked in revenge porn.
- Any man who has ever made anyone feel unsafe through threats, intimidation, or aggressive behavior.
- Any man who has ever uttered the following words: “Remember who signs your paycheck.” Also, “Do you know who I am?”
- Any man who has ever pulled his penis out without gaining enthusiastic permission from every other person in the room.
- Any man who has ever sent a picture of his penis to anyone who didn’t request it.
- Any man who doesn’t read at least one full-length book each year, preferably fiction.
If every man who wanted to own or use a firearm had to clear these basic benchmarks before obtaining a weapon, the world would be a much safer place. And, yes, I’m fine with applying these same standards to women.
Have a great weekend.
THE PAST IS NEVER is the winner of the Willie Morris Award for Southern Fiction, the Janet Heidinger Kafka Prize, the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters Award for Fiction, and the Mississippi Author Award for Adult Fiction (selected by the Mississippi Library Association). This southern gothic novel steeped in local lore was selected as an "Okra Pick" by the Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance. Tyson's debut novel THREE RIVERS was a finalist for both the Colorado Book Award for Literary Fiction and the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters Award for Fiction. She was born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi and now lives, writes, and teaches in Denver, Colorado.